Sunday, December 30, 2012

A Year is too Short!

The longer I live, the more I am convinced that the short and simple moments in life can impact my little world just as much if not more than the long and on-going seasons of life.  For example, the moment I got married was a blurr (Ashley might say a whirlwind), the kids' births were all so special but happened so quickly, the day I graduated seminary came and went.  These are only a few of these moments I'm talking about.

This year was absolutely FILLED with some of these moments.  These last 10 years or so have had so many of these moments as well.  We were only in Clifton Forge for only a little over a year back in 2003, but the friendships we made then we still have to this day!  We consider this friends as very special people in our lives, like extended family, even.  Like Celia, Dallas, the Brantley's, Scottie and Sharla, Pastor Doug, Forrest and Rachelle....and Sherrie.

Sherrie died on Christmas Eve.  We all felt the shock wave of pain as the news quickly made its way to our home that night.  Just like Sandy rolled into the northeast, the news of Sherrie's death was horrific and terrifying.  I was in shock and disbelief.  We didn't want to be anywhere except Celia's living room that night.  So we went up for the funeral and burial, it was the only natural thing to do - especially when a family member dies so suddenly...and yes, these folks are our family....Sherrie was like our family!  I can't help but think about the opportunities we've had to pack our things and all of us visit over the years.  And now we can't get them back.  She followed this blog...her name is just over there on the left.

So instead of regrets, we live in response to this experience as we should with all of life's experiences...we learn from them.  Visit friends more often.  Call regularly.  Email as much as possible.  Keep in touch through facebook.  Whatever it takes.  Thank God for this gift of friendship through this toilsome life, and this brief existence!


And there is no other friendship like the one I have with my beautiful bride!  That is a friendship so precious to me!  I fear it is all too often too precious....but I'm okay with a bit of spoilage, I guess.  I like to think that when I serve her I am serving God himself.

I praise God for the little moments that fill my life with unforgettable memories...for that is what God has used to make me who I am today!

No comments:

Post a Comment