Friday, May 10, 2013

Our 10th Anniversary!

I picked up my cell phone today and dialed our favorite Mexican restaurante for take-out. "Nachos compuestos para dos, por favor.  No guacamole, sour cream seperado," is the same order we have been placing at this same restaurant ever since we made the trek to the Forest of Wake, NC (we've never actually eaten anything else here...never) back in 04.  I tell the caballero on the other end of the line that my wife will be picking up the order.  I tell him that she is wearing green today and that she is "muy bonita!"  I could sense his smile from my end of the phone.  He repeated it over and over, "Okay, I will look for a beautiful lady to walk through my door."

The kids and I were on a separate errand and just happened to be in the neighborhood of the restaurant.  As she got into her car she spotted us down the lot.  We just smiled and waved.  Her face lit up with that same angelic smile - her trademark smile - you know, the one that lights up a room!  Yeah that's the one.  She said she just got the royal treatment.  The gentleman at the restaurant was overjoyed when she walked in the door.  He said that her husband told him to look for a beautiful woman to walk through his door, and here she was.  Ashley told him it was our anniversary and immediately got a celebration from the man, and a hug, too.  Then she turns the corner and there I am.  That's how we roll.

Ten years ago, Ashley and I committed before God, family, and the rest of the world that we would love and serve one another faithfully the rest of our lives.  We blinked and ten years went by!  Here we are, more in love now than ever before.  God has so richly blessed me with a beautiful wife and four beautiful children.  I am overwhelmed at His goodness to me!!

So what did we do for our big ten, you say?  I took Ashley to one of the most romantic cities in the country. Certainly one of the coolest towns on the east coast - Charleston, SC.  The whole family came as we made a family vacation out of it.  We stayed at a very elegant getaway condo on Daniel Island, right by Charleston Harbor (again thanks to Ben and Kaylee's friends in SC).  Ashley and I got to get away for a very special date earlier this week while Ben and Kaylee took the kids out for pizza and bowling.

Our special date began with us getting on some fancy clothes, well, island fancy that is.  Fancy in Charleston is not fancy like anywhere else.  No suits or ties....dresses, sandles, and untucked shirts is more like it.  We began with a evening stroll on the breezy shores of Sullivan Island.  The sun was setting and the beach was a beautiful glow with the evening sunlight.  The breeze made it cold, so I had to hold her hand a little closer you know.  I loved it!


From there we ventured to the other side of the city for a dinner at California Dreaming.  We were seated at a table just by the river - the Ashley River.  The river and it's marinas were all in lights, and the nighttime cityscape made the view perfect.  We shared a delicious meal as we talked about the first 10 years and the next 10 years.  We decided that on every 10th anniversary we are making the trip to Charleston.  We talked about our love for one another.

We ended the night with mint chocolate chip ice cream, and yes ladies, a little TV - Atlanta Braves baseball to be exact.  Again, another demonstration of Ashley's love for me.  While that part wasn't planned, I can honestly say it meant a lot to me.

We returned from our adventure from sunny South Carolina late last night, refreshed and already missing our island retreat condo.

The next 10 years and beyond....

I covenant before God, family, and the world, that I will love and serve my bride, Ashley Dawn Erdman, faithfully the rest of my days.  No matter what happens.  No matter what comes our way.  There is nothing she nor I will ever be able to do to take me from her side.  Nothing.  The journey has been a wonderful adventure this far, and I am so glad you are by my side.  With my hand in yours and yours in mind, let us continue on to face one day at a time with humility and love, all the rest of our days.  I love you, Ashley.  You are the love of my life!  Happy Anniversary!






No comments:

Post a Comment